Sunday 7 June 2009

A remedy for dealing with moody women/PMT?

A friend/former work colleague recently wrote to me with some deeply philosophical thoughts about Truth, and then asked for advice or a remedy for dealing with 'moody women leading up to periods'.

I share with you here my response:
Thoughts are powerful, words more so. My advice to you is that you write down in your journal or diary (some permanent record you can refer back to) this address to the Spirit of Truth:

Spirit of Truth, I grew up in a culture which widely believed that women differed from men in that their bodies were subject to monthly cycles which made them prone to mood swings; made them susceptible to pre-menstrual tension. Thank you that to date my experience has matched my belief, thus building my faith in the power of expectation. Now, Spirit of Truth, I want to set the world free of that belief. I want to release the world from all I thought it was - to allow myself to experience a world set free from my belief in pain and suffering. Spirit of Truth, please guide my thoughts that I might experience the peace that transcends all understanding. In all things may I know that God still is Love, and pain and suffering are not God's will for creation. Spirit of Truth, please continue to lead me into all truth, that I might forgive the world and set it free from all I thought it was. Touch my perception, that I might perceive the voice for Love in all things.

Having written down the above (perhaps in your own words), then declare it aloud - and each time you find yourself encountering something you think is due to PMT, invite the Spirit of Truth to remove the veil from your eyes/perception, and to refresh your understanding. Assign a new meaning to the acronym, eg. PMT = Practice Meditating Truth. Every now and then go back to the statement you wrote down and re-read it, to check out how close you are to fully receiving it.

Now I'm guessing that your expectation was for a different response. As I was writing my advice, a couple of scriptures came to mind. The first was from 2 Kings 5, the story of Naaman going to the home of Elisha and asking to be cured of leprosy. When Elisha didn't even come to the door, but sent a messenger to say "Go, wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored and you will be cleansed", Naaman goes away angry - he had his own expectations of what Elisha would do, and this didn't match his expectation. Fortunately Naaman's faithful servants talk to him and encourage him to do what he's been asked to do - and sure enough, he's cured of the leprosy.

The other scripture which came to mind was from Philippians 4:4 - 8
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
(Quoted from New International Version)

It was especially this last sentence which came to mind - about focusing on the positive. This is how we invite more good stuff into our lives.

Hope this helps! Let me know either way.

No comments: